Friday, February 25, 2011

Mega finds a new diva


AFTER winning the ABS-CBN talent search “Star Power,” Angeline Quinto took one of her prizes, a black SUV Hover, on a victory ride to Baclaran Church.

I wanted to give thanks ... kahit madaling araw na,” she related.

Angeline bested four other hopefuls (Akiko Solon from Cebu; K-La Rivera, Canada; Krissel Valdez, Davao; and Monica Sacay, Leyte) on finals night at the Ynares Center in Antipolo last Sunday.

She told Inquirer that she will offer Thanksgiving Masses in the four churches she frequents—Baclaran, Quiapo, Santa Clara and Manaoag. Then she hopes to have her family’s Sampaloc home renovated: “I’ll build a second floor; our area always gets flooded during the rainy season.”

When she sang her winning piece, Jonathan Manalo’s “Patuloy ang Pangarap,” she saw her brother Paul cheering in the crowd. “I tried not to look at him; I didn’t want to cry. I closed my eyes and thought of my mom.”

Blossoming

Mom Sylvia, who’s recovering from heart surgery, wasn’t allowed by her doctors to watch the finals, either live or on TV. Angeline said she kept the contest a secret from her mom, in fact, until the first taping day.

When she tried out for “Star Power,” Angeline recounted, “My waistline was 34 inches. [It’s now] 27 inches. I kept exercising, and went on a diet.”

Sharon was witness to Angeline’s blossoming in the past four months: “Her transformation was remarkable. During the audition, her posture seemed to court defeat. On finals night, she was confident and beautiful.”

She advised Angeline to find her own voice, saying, “There are too many singers who want to sound like Regine Velasquez ... there should be only one Regine.”

Evolving

Angeline, Sharon said, “listened to advice,” though the show pushed her out of her comfort zone.

“I wasn’t at ease doing dance songs, but the show allowed me to try different things. I’m still [evolving and] I’ll always remember what Ma’am Sharon taught me: “Never to forget where I came from, no matter how far this takes me."

source: inquirer

No comments:

Post a Comment