Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Maria Aragon duets with Canadian PM, greets Lady Gaga on her birthday (video inside)

source: manila bulletin
MANILA, Philippines – YouTube singing sensation Maria Aragon’s luck continues to blossom, with her recently performing with Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

Harper, who is seeking federal re-election in May, surprised the Aragons with a visit to their Winnipeg residence Monday (Tuesday, Manila time) with his wife, Laureen. The visit drew a lot of paparazzi, who prodded Harper to sing with the eleven-year-old celebrity. The PM acquiesced by performing John Lennon’s “Imagine” on the piano together with Aragon.

But before Harper’s performance, Aragon greeted her idol, Lady Gaga, by singing her own version of the pop superstar’s hit “Born This Way.” She injected words in the song to address the pop icon.

“Happy birthday Lady Gaga and I hope you enjoyed your....my version of 'Born This Way'," she addressed the pop singer. "A little bit of happy birthday. I hope you enjoy your 25th birthday and I hope that you have more than 25 years to come.

"I just really love you for the way you are. I hope you really stay Gaga and hopefully I get to see you again. And I wanna wish you more luck, more support and I just wanna say thank you because without you I would be nothing here playing my piano. I wouldn’t have been wearing this shirt or I wouldn’t got this hat. I wouldn’t post this video up. Just thank you and I love you and
happy birthday," she said.

Last week, Aragon was invited to sing at Piolo Pascual’s concert in Toronto, Canada.

“Now that I’m gonna be singing with Piolo Pascual and I have his signature on this hat. This hat is really very special. I have a lot of family there. I can see he’s really very nice,” she said in an interview aired on “Bandila,” March 29.

Aragon, who was born and raised in Canada, hopes to visit the Philippines soon. The Aragons have not visited the country since they migrated to Canada in 1997.

“I’m kind of giving it a thought, too. We have a lot of family there,” Aragon said.

Aragon gained cyber prominence when her YouTube video of Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way” was discovered by the pop icon. She became a singing sensation when Lady Gaga shared her video with her millions of fans on Twitter.

“Can’t stop crying watching this, this is why I make music, she is the future,” Lady Gaga tweeted that time.

A lot of things followed suit. Aragon guested in a radio show where she sang a duet with her idol. She also made a guest appearance on the 'Ellen DeGeneres' talk show. And in a rare chance, she performed with Lady Gaga at the Air Canada Center in Toronto.

"Maria represents what this song is all about," Gaga said. "It's all about the next generation and the future.”


source: manila bulletin

No comments:

Post a Comment