Sunday, April 24, 2011

Love in 10 days

source: mb.com.ph


"If you want me to get married, pick this girl up and bring her to the venue,” said John Carlos “JC” delos Reyes to his sister. The girl he was referring to was Dunia Valenzuela, a Filipino-Brazilian beauty who was then a mass communication student at St. Paul University in Quezon City.

That time, JC—then a councilor in Subic—was going to give a talk for the National Renewal Movement, an organization whose members are reformist politicians. He invited Dunia to attend the talk, but Dunia, who had just arrived from Brazil a few months ago, refused to go because she didn’t know how to go around Manila.

So, JC told his sister to pick Dunia up from her dorm and bring her to the venue where the talk would be held. His sister was hesitant because she had not met Dunia. She had only heard about Dunia through their father who the Brazilian lass met a year ago.

“My father met her first. That time, they were busy preparing for a stage play produced by the Philippine Centennial Commission for the centennial anniversary of Jose Rizal’s martyrdom. Fr. James Reuter would be directing the play, and my father would be playing the lead role, which was Jose Rizal. Dunia was the understudy for the role of Josephine Bracken,” shares JC.

Dunia adds: “During rehearsals, his father would talk to me and make friends with me. He was always beside me that some of my friends found it weird. But the truth was, he was already thinking of setting us up. He even told me that I should meet his son who would be there to watch the play, but then I got sick.”

Determined to make Dunia his daughter-in-law, JC’s father conspired with Fr. Reuter, Sister Sarah Manapol, and came up with an idea of giving a Christmas party for the cast and crew of the play. Fr. Reuter told Dunia to be at the dinner party, while JC’s father invited JC to the party. That was in December 27, 1996.

“Since I knew that it was just a party for the production cast, I was just wearing pants and simple clothes. When JC’s father saw me, he asked me why I was not wearing a dress. Then, I heard Fr. Reuter asking JC’s father where his son was. I knew right there and then that it was a set up. It was funny because they really made the whole thing as natural as possible. They invited the whole cast and ordered food from Jollibee so they could set us up discreetly,” shares Dunia.

When JC arrived, his father ushered him to the table where Dunia was sitting. After introducing the two, his father and the rest left the table, giving petty excuses for leaving the table so suddenly. But obviously, they just wanted to leave the two alone.

“When we were left alone, I told her who I am and how I am as a person. I told her that I’m a crusader. I’m a politician, but a politician crusading against corruption. I love my country and I want to reform it. Those were the first words I told her. She was flabbergasted,” shares JC.

Dunia enthuses: “No, no. I didn’t know he’s a politician. I’m from Brazil. I didn’t know what a councilor is. And when we were talking, he kept on telling me about God and all the spiritual things he believes in. So, I thought when he was saying he was a councilor, he meant a counselor, someone who’s giving advice to people.”

That first encounter was so brief. The following day, JC had to go back home to Subic and celebrate the New Year there. While in Subic, JC realized that he wanted to see Dunia again. But he didn’t know how. He didn’t have a way to contact her because he didn’t get her number. He only knew that Dunia was studying at St. Paul’s.

On January 2, 1997, JC wrote a letter to Dunia. In the letter, he wrote his number and asked Dunia to please call him as soon as she received the letter. Dunia received the letter the following day, January 3, and she did call him. That was when JC told her about the talk which would be happening the next day, January 4, and invited her so that they could get to know each other better.

“While I was waiting for my turn on the microphone, I was praying that I could impress not the politicians and the public, but that one special girl in the crowd,” shares JC.

After that, they had their first “real” date on January 6, 1997, at Craving’s restaurant. There, they talked about life and got to know each other more. Before the date ended, JC proposed marriage much to Dunia’s surprise.

“I was shocked. We barely knew each other, but I told him I needed to finish my studies, and if he was willing to wait,” says Dunia.

JC interjects: “I told her that I needed her answer right away. Idol ko si (Ferdinand) Marcos. He got Imelda’s ‘yes’ in 14 days; I wanted to beat that. I wanted her ‘yes’ in 10 days.”

On JC’s birthday, February 14, 1997, the two got engaged. It took them a while to start the preparation. Dunia had to be gone for two months for the tour of the Rizal play in Europe and the USA.

“While on tour, I kept asking myself if I was really decided on marrying JC. I’ve been praying for a sign. And God gave me the sign. Before I came home after the tour, I suddenly felt that inner peace. I knew I made the right choice,” shares Dunia.

The two got married on January 18, 1998. They are blessed with three lovely children: Gabriel, Santiago, and Barbara Grace. Her marriage to JC allowed her to grow as a person and get in touch with her Filipino heritage more.

Before settling down in Subic, the couple lived in different places such as Baguio and Manila. Here, Dunia learned to speak Filipino fluently and had the chance to interact with the Filipino community more through social events.

“Living with JC has taught me a lot. He does not impose, but he teaches you that this is the ‘right way.’ I easily adapted to it. Of course, I still have my fair share in our arguments but the thing about us is we respect each other’s opinions.”

A crucial phase in their relationship was when they decided to have a long distance relationship for a year when Dunia went to live in Brazil together with their children. “It’s been 10 years then since she left her homeland,” says JC. In 2004, the couple figured that it was a sound decision to make at a right time. JC was reviewing for the bar exams and Dunia also felt that it was a good moment to spend some long overdue quality time with her relatives after a decade or so. “I taught English there and painted, among other things. My parents became doting grandparents to our children, and I saw some changes in some places there which made me say like ‘Hey, this wasn’t here before’ or something like that. But more than anything else, I felt that going back to my hometown has helped me grow as a woman,” says Dunia. JC, on the other hand, was able to focus more on his studies while managing the family’s businesses at the same time.

JC and Dunia kept in touch via email and phone calls. While being geographically apart from each other is challenging, the couple shares that it is their faith that sustained their relationship and made it stronger. In 2005, JC flew to Brazil and had the chance to feel the zest for life Brazilians are usually known for.

“Brazil is a country that loves to eat, especially meat,” says Dunia, who ironically, is now a full time vegetarian. In Brazil, JC discovered that eating is a passion there. “There was one time when we had a feast at home and he was eating different meat dishes such as steaks. He thought that those belonged to the main course already, only to discover that they were just appetizers when a slow-roasted meat was presented as the main course,” recalls Dunia.

“I love Brazil. I love their culture and food. Our children are dual citizens. You appreciate being Filipino but you expand your mind to appreciate a part of their Brazilian heritage because I have four Filipino-Brazilians to take care of. I learned that every culture, every people… we have a lot to share with each other,” says JC.

A defining moment for this couple was when JC decided to run for president of the Philippines, representing the Ang Kapatiran party. “I was definitely surprised when I learned that he was going to run for president,” says Dunia. Naturally, the couple was suddenly thrust into the limelight. “I noticed that during the presidential campaign, I became more involved with the community, so I started serving in the church and just held on to my faith,” adds Dunia.

JC did not make the cut for the presidential slot. However, losing in the national elections did not dampen their spirits.

“You should try to make the best out of everything and just see the positive side of things instead of dwelling on the negative ones. I realized that it’s better to live in the present and move forward,” says Dunia. “What matters is that I said what I have to say during the presidential campaign,” adds JC.

JC has always been a simple man but he says that pursuing the presidential route was a “sacrifice” for the family as they “exposed our lives, and everywhere I go, people know me.”

Nowadays, JC still continues to be active in Ang Kapatiran, helping promote advocacies such as good governance and trying to fight society illnesses such as corruption and crime. JC also handles a few family businesses in Manila such as Barbara’s Restaurant in Intramuros. Dunia, on the other hand, is a yoga practitioner and instructor in Subic and is more in-charge of taking care of their home. Every weekend, JC goes home to their house in Subic and the couple makes sure to make the best out of weekends through different activities such as jogging and cooking.

On family and parenting

He said: As a parent, I feel I was given a special mission. Obviously, I was cast into the political limelight for a reason. So I’m trying to balance my patriotism, my love for country with my love for the kids. It’s a constant struggle. But we recently went to Baguio for two days and it was a relief. We rode horses, among others. After that, it’s back to reality. I teach my kids to have passion for God and the country.

She said: Since my kids were babies, we’ve had helpers but not yayas. I’ve always been hands-on with our children. Up to now, I still bring them to school and prepare their snacks and lunch. I like to give them the best. I guess we’re kind of balanced in terms of disciplining them and letting them have fun. I take them to the beach, we go camping.

source: mb.com.ph

No comments:

Post a Comment