Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pacquiao vs Mayweather likely set on December 1


Is there something cooking between the camps Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr?
The boxing world is agog following Pacquiao’s reported withdrawal from a Nov. 10, 2012 schedule.

This was subsequently followed by an announcement that the Filipino lawmaker wants a Dec. 1 fight, coinciding with the date previously chosen by Mayweather before he served a short prison sentence for hurting his wife.
“All indications are pointing to that way if you would ask me,” said a source who earlier tipped the Daily Tribune about the ongoing talks between Pacquiao’s handlers and Mayweather’s camp.

“These two knew that they’re not getting anymore younger,” he continued. “Whether it’s for legacy or for money, the two have no other choice.”
Pacquiao’s advisor, Michael Koncz, said his fighter will return to the ring on Dec. 1, against an opponent and a venue he will personally choose.
Could this be Pacquiao’s retaliation against the shabby treatment he received from two Nevada State Atlethic Commission (NSAC) judges who handed him his first loss in eight years?

It could be, but Koncz maintained it’s a personal reason for Pacquiao.
“We’ve informed Top Rank that we can not go on Nov. 10,” said Koncz, referring to the bout supposed to take place at MGM Grand in Las Vegas and which had been reserved with Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer.
“So (Top Rank CEO) Bob Arum has moved the date now to Dec. 1, and he’s done that at our request due to conflicting schedules with the boxing and Manny’s personal affairs.”

Koncz said he and Top Rank CEO Bob Arum sat down with Pacquiao soon after Aug. 6, in the Philippines, where Pacquiao (54-4-2, 38 knockouts) considered a rematch with former foes WBO welterweight titleholder Tim Bradley, four-division title-winner Juan Manuel Marquez or three-division belt-winner Miguel Cotto.
Cotto is also slated to fight on Dec. 1, but at Madison Square Garden in New York.
Koncz said that all the big names are under consideration, even after a New York meeting with Arum on Monday.

“I met with Bob Arum in New York yesterday and had further discussions,” said Koncz. “We talked about Bradley, Cotto and Marquez, but we have not selected an opponent. I will relay those discussions to Manny within the next day or two.”
Bradley could get another shot at Pacquiao after winning a controversial split-decision in June to end Pacquiao’s 15-bout winning streak that included eight stoppages.

Arum has hinted Pacquiao might face Marquez rather than a contracted return bout against Bradley. Marquez lost a disputed majority decision in November to Pacquiao, against whom he had battled through a draw and a split-decision loss previously.
Already the WBA junior welterweight titleholder, Marquez rebounded from the loss to Pacquiao with April’s unanimous decision over Sergei Fedchenko for the WBO’s interim junior welterweight belt.

Cotto is coming off a unanimous decision loss to five-division, eight belt-winner Mayweather Jr., who added Cotto’s WBA junior middleweight belt to the WBC welterweight crown he already owned in May.
Cotto had scored three straight stoppage victories since losing by 12th-round knockout to Pacquiao in November of 2010, including December’s 10th-round stoppage of Antonio Margarito to avenge the first loss of his career.


No comments:

Post a Comment