Wednesday, September 12, 2012

No encounter between Espina and 'kotong' cops; no charges filed yet on extort claim


MANILA, Philippines - On his visit Tuesday morning to the Quezon City Police District, newly installed NCRPO chief Leonardo Espina did not meet the cops who allegedly tried to extort P20,000 from his son.

The new National Capital Region Police Office director said he did not see the need to face SPO4 Jose Dela Pena and PO2 Resty Del Rosario, who are on floating status following the Sept. 4 encounter.

Chief Supt. Espina visited the QCPD headquarters in Camp Karingal as part of his rounds of each district under the NCRPO.

On Monday, Dela Pena surrendered to QCPD director Chief Supt. Mario dela Vega. Del Rosario had reported to work Thursday last week.

The two cops are accused of extorting money from Espina's son on false charges of conducting phone sex inside his parked car.

Del Rosario, who first spoke to higher-ups, had stressed he knew nothing of what Dela Pena was up to, as it was their first time to be partners on a patrol. He said Dela Pena simply gave him the police mobile car keys after flagging down the younger Espina, and instructed him to follow them in the young man’s car, which dela Pena boarded.

After finally surfacing, dela Pena denied the allegations, according to his boss dela Vega.

Chief Supt. Espina said his son identified dela Pena after seeing TV footage on Monday night.

"It is only right that he surfaced at last. It's about time that he faced the charges," Espina said.

Dela Vega told reporters that dela Pena--- who declined to answer reporters’ questions on Monday and invoked his right to remain silent as advised by his lawyers---had asked for another chance.

Meanwhile, Espina reminded policemen that the Philippine National Police has "had enough" of kotong cops.

"The police is no place for the likes of you. We will weed out these men one by one and cleanse the organization," the official added.

No charges

A week after the two cops were accused of extorting money, no formal complaint has yet been filed.

Chief Supt. Espina appealed for understanding and privacy for his 22-year old son, who is still reportedly reeling from the incident.

"I hope everybody would understand if I would request everybody for him to have his own privacy first," Espina told reporters during his visit at Camp Karingal.

Dela Pena will undergo pre-charge proceedings for administrative charges including grave misconduct, absence without leave (AWOL), insubordination and malversation of government property.

Espina's son has yet to lodge a formal complaint against the two policemen. Espina said he was leaving it up to his son to decide whether to file a case or not.

"It all depends on him. My son's already an adult, he's 22 already. But he's very shy," Espina said.


No comments:

Post a Comment