Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Holy Wednesday

source: mb.com.ph


MANILA, Philippines — In today’s Gospel, Judas asks the Chief Priest, “How much will you give if I hand Him over to you?” They promise him 30 pieces of silver.

The story continues as Jesus and His disciples prepare for the feast of the Unleavened Bread. Jesus tells them, “Go into the city, to the house of a certain man, and tell him. The Master says: ‘My hour is near, and I will celebrate Passover with my disciples in your house.”’ (cf Mt. 26:17) The disciples did as they were told and when they started eating, Jesus said, “Truly I say to you: One of you will betray me.” Jesus accepts this truth about the coming days but He does not agonize on it; instead celebrates it.

Matthew’s Gospel starts with the idea of Judas’ betrayal and ends with Judas’ admission. Judas is seen in both John and Matthew’s account of this drama as our own reflection. At first, we may deny our failures and run off because we cannot handle the truth of our weakness. We also may accept the fact that we have our shortcomings but we do not do something about them.

In the first reading, Isaiah proclaims God’s providential care to his servants. He says, “The Lord God is my help, therefore, I am not disgraced; I have set my face like flint, knowing that I shall not be put to shame.” (cf Is 50:7) As Christians, we should be humble enough to accept our mistakes and do not deny them. We should not be afraid to return to our Father for He welcomes us and has compassion for us. He will not let us be disgraced but He will lead us back to His redeeming love.

Again, we are invited to see our own roles just as Judas, Peter, the Marys, and the disciples did in God’s great plan. We are reminded that whoever we are, whatever we have done in the past, we are welcome to His kingdom.

In this Lenten season, how have we faced our own shortcomings? Have we fully forgiven ourselves or we are still engrossed by our own limitations? As we continue our reflection, let us be reminded of a God who listens, cares, and understands us for who we are and who we have been.

source: mb.com.ph

No comments:

Post a Comment